Clash of the Titans at the City Ground

Brewery |

Clash of the Titans at the City Ground
Another mammoth battle took place last Friday at the City Ground in Truro as we challenged Cornwall Signs for town football bragging rights.

The scene was set after last year’s closely fought contest at Poltair Park, which saw our team, the Tribute Terriers (TT) throwing away a 3-0 lead to a hungry and persistent Cornwall Signs team; the game finishing 3-3 at full time and ending with a penalties victory for Cornwall Signs.

This year’s rematch saw both teams lining up in similar format at the Truro City ground and the match took on an all-too familiar shape from early on in the game.

With the Tribute Terriers dominating possession, Cornwall Signs took advantage of a breakdown in the Brewery passing game to allow Ian Jenkin to knock home the first strike. Starting in goal for us was our Sales Director Ian Blunt who, after a nifty dive on the ball to stop a dangerous through ball from the Cornwall Signs midfield, was forced to retire hurt in the 12th minute.

After that, the game settled into a fast-paced routine of end to end action with both sides having plenty of chances, but with Cornwall Signs looking more dangerous from set pieces. A Brewery equaliser was cancelled out by a free kick from the edge of the box and only some last ditch goalkeeping and defending stopped us from going behind before two goals were snatched at the other end by quality strikes from Craig Allen.

Coming out 3-2 up after the break, Cornwall Signs applied the pressure once again and with changes to our line up, the Terriers struggled to get the ball out of their own half for the first 10 minutes, with Cornwall Signs snatching a scrambled equaliser from another set piece.

For the next half hour, we managed to find our rhythm and dominated the game, scoring two goals, one a belter from Liam Turner, to put the game seemingly beyond Cornwall Signs. However, in a replay of last year’s game, the Terriers then switched off at crucial moments in the last 5 minutes to allow the dogged and skilful Cornwall Signs attack to create chances and score twice to take the game yet again to penalties.

With all eyes on the spot, both teams started with a series of finely taken shots beyond the reach of both keepers. The game looked to be sealed for us when our goal keeper Chris Knight turned a fierce shot onto the right hand post, only for the save to be disallowed as he was adjudged to have come off his line.

A miss at 5-5 from Cornwall Signs as the ball soared over the bar gave the Terriers another bite at the trophy, only for goal keeper Matt Clements to turn the ball brilliantly round the post before another save by Chris Knight to his left at 6-6 gave Dean Kitley the opportunity to fire home and bring the trophy back to the Brewery.

The game was played in fine competitive style with plenty of skill on the ball evident from both sides but also with an equal amount of good spirit. The tally now stands at one game apiece, setting the scene perfectly for next year’s outing.



Cornwall Signs:

Ian Jenkin 1

Martin Giles 1

James Hutchings 1

Bobbylee Johns 2


St Austell Brewery

Craig Allen 2

Liam Turner 1

Craig Coad 1

Lee Reed-Bennett - 1