Bob Chard, our National Account Manager says: “Quality cask beer plays an integral part in our British pub culture – expertly brewed using the very best ingredients. Like Nicholson’s, we want to celebrate the category and share our beers with existing fans, as well as those that are discovering cask for the first time.
“We’re delighted to be involved and hope pub goers enjoy trying the huge variety of cask beers on the bar, in Nicholson’s pubs across the UK.”
St Austell Brewery – which has brewed Nicholson’s flagship pale ale since it first launched seven years ago - will be serving the following limited-edition beers during the festival:
- Proper Job (4.5% abv) - Award-winning Proper Job is a big, bold and powerfully hopped IPA that explodes with citrus, pineapple and grapefruit notes. Brewed with Cornish spring water, punchy American hops and the finest quality malt, this strong and moreish golden ale has a refreshing finish, making it perfect for pairing with big foodie flavours.
- Hicks (5% abv) – A legendary Cornish ale, Hicks is named after the Brewery's founder, Walter Hicks. Full-bodied, strong and distinctly Cornish, it's brimming with a kaleidoscope of flavours. Brewed with plenty of malt and lashings of English Fuggles and Golding hops, Hicks is a classic ale of considerable depth and complexity – a beer worthy of carrying a great man’s name.
- Lunar Landing (4.5% abv) – Brewed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong’s first stepping onto the moon, Lunar Landing is an out-of-this-world IPA. Four spaced-themed hop varieties are used to create the beer. American Comet hops provide strong bittering characteristics with grassy, citrus and grapefruit aromas. Galaxy, Endeavour and Aurora hops are added to the hopback, delivering aromas of passionfruit, pine and grapefruit. A base of pale and Cornish Gold malts gives Lunar Landing a colour as light as the moon in the night sky.
- Mandarina Bavaria (4.4% abv) - A clean and fruity orange pale ale. Slovenian Celeia and German Mandarina Bavaria hops, known for their citrus notes, combine with Maris Otter pale and Cara malt to give this beer a wonderful glow. Lashings of orange zest and peel are added to the hopback to create this zesty beer.
- Flanker & Firkin (4.3% abv) – Brewed in celebration of this year’s Rugby World Cup, this special red ale - influenced by the colour in the Japan’s national flag - uses an inspirational Japanese hop – Sorachi Ace. Expect a warm russet colour with a rich, malty, dried fruit character and a sweet caramelised toffee flavour. All balanced nicely with a refreshing citrus, lemon and dill aroma which leads into a long dry finish.
To mark the launch of the festival, Nicholson’s will be re-launching an ale trail on the Cask Marque app. In celebration of Cask Ale Week, we're offering a limited-number of ale-trail goers the chance to receive a three-pack of Tribute pale ale for those successfully completing the mapped-out routes.